This was the capstone of a pretty hilarious movie night. Barbarella was namedropped in our previous viewing choice, Bio-Dome, which reminded me that 1) it existed and 2) I hadn’t already seen it, although I probably should have. I had no idea what we were in for. The movie is ridiculous, candy colored, unsexily sexual, and pun-laden. The special effects are as brutal as the plot.
I also didn’t predict that I would end up with a drinking game that rivals my previous favorite drinking game in scope and efficacy. For comparison’s sake, my previous favorite drinking game was the “Safety Dance” drinking game, in which you and your friends put “Safety Dance” on repeat and drink every time you hear the words “safety dance.” Yes! I invented it myself.
Anyway, the drinking game we came up with almost works as a review! Here goes:
To play, SIP or POUND ONE:
– Every time Barbarella changes her costume.
– Every time Barbarella yells, “Pygar!”
– When something Dildano has doesn’t work right.
– Every time somebody says the name “Durand Durand” and you think of Duran Duran.
– Every time Barbarella falls over for no reason.
– Every time we’re introduced to a new fur-covered surface.
REJECTED AS RULES BECAUSE YOU’D DIE OF ALCOHOL POISONING:
– Every time we’re introduced to a new use for clear plastic.
– Every instance of phallic imagery.
– Every time you can tell something is made of cardboard.
– Every time you figure out how they got that psychedelic imagery.